Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Be Alert ... Not a "LERT"

I’m coining a new word here boys and girls.
LERT = someone that is not alert. And I are one too !


We all know when “IT” happens, we’re usually doing something repetitive and get hypnotized by the moment. I was cutting pieces for a tiled bowl. They’re always cut at 22.5 degrees and these were 40 in number at 5 1/8” in length. To be honest, I’m not exactly sure how “IT” happened, but the piece passed the table saw blade and went flying in two pieces. I usually grab the pieces after they pass the blade then pull the meter gauge back to the starting position. I think I may have tried to do both at the same time. The result was all hell done broke lose.

The aftermath was a bent blade, a meter gauge that had to be completely re-calibrated, a piece of a project in two pieces, and a wife that came running in shock to see if I was alright. The noise of the action and me yelling Odie's favorite word brought Sue very quickly. And yes, I still have all my fingers.

So, be ALERT out there … not a “LERT” like me.

No comments: