Thursday, December 8, 2011

Weedpot ~ Showing Off Here and Shipping There

There she be all waxed, polished, and ready to ship.
The request was for Approximately 12" x 4", but that
was not to be. Because of cracks and the starting size,
I ended up with 8 1/2" x 3". Enjoy Mr. and Mrs.

This is a great medium for keeping customers up to
date on an order. This, also, will be a great place to
show the recipient how it was made.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Weedpot ~ Day Two

I chased that crack and lost it. I was able to get
to the point where I finished it. So all that is left
to do today shear it of of its base, sign it, and then
wax it.

 A little closer to the final shape.
 And here is the final shape with the stem and foot on the bottom.
 This photo shows the final sanding just before I add finish.
Here it is with the finish applied. I use Tung Oil
on these. It will sit over night and dry in the warm
house. The next day it will be sheared off of the
stem and then signed, buffed, and waxed.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Weedpot ... Not That Kind of Weed

I thought I would show you and a couple of friends
the progress of their order. A weedpot is actually for
dried flowers. It has a hole drilled into the top to accept
the dried flowers or a test tube for a single green flower.
 I started with a blank 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" x 13"
 It this point I've just knocked off the corners.
 I have now turned it completely round.
 This is what my arm looks like after a short while.
This could be a problem. The wood (Walnut) I had on hand
was a little greener than I thought. These cracks are a result
of moisture in the wood that dries out. So now I get to chase
the crack. Which means I turn the piece until the crack is
gone. When I drilled the hole water was on the drill bit when
I finished. I might have to glue up dry pieces I have on hand
and start again. I'll know later today. I thought I would let
it be last night to allow it to do what it will. Now it's back
out there to gitter done.